legal reasoning for CLAT- A lot of students simply rely on the standard books to study rather than studying through the syllabus of CLAT legal reasoning.
CLAT legal reasoning is one of the most prominent components of CLAT exams.
As the name suggests, this section checks your legal reasoning or legal aptitude rather than your legal knowledge. The candidate’s legal discernment is evaluated at the highest level.
This section covers current events, principles, essentials of law, and some legal facts.
The aim of this section is to judge the candidate’s legal aptitude, problem-solving abilities, and research skills.
The CLAT legal reasoning section will ask the candidate to read a passage of about 450 words. There will be questions about legal matters, moral and philosophical questions, and policy issues in these passages.
The candidate who attempts this section will have the inherent advantage of being able to apply general prepositions to the legal facts outlined in the question. There isn’t any need to have any prior knowledge.
To succeed in the CLAT legal aptitude or reasoning section, candidates must plan or formulate a strategy. This article is written with the aim of helping the candidate understand the syllabus as well as the pattern of legal reasoning in CLAT as well.
CLAT Legal Reasoning Pattern:
Covers about 25% of the CLAT UG 2022 paper. This section contains 35-39 questions. Each question carries 1 mark, and the same mark is awarded to each candidate who answers it correctly. For each incorrect answer, 0.25 marks will be deducted.
In this section, each passage would be followed by a series of questions that will require you to
- a) Identify and infer the rules and principles set out in the passage;
- b) Apply such rules and principles to various fact situations, and
- c) Understand how changes to the rules or principles may alter their application to various fact situations.
Topics in Legal Reasoning for CLAT 2023
Following are the topics that are included in the CLAT legal reasoning:
- a) Torts
- b) Contracts
- c) Criminal Law
- d) Constitutional Law
- e) International Law
- f) Intellectual Property Law
- g) Family Law
- h) General Legal Principles
They have relevance and importance in the syllabus, in the order in which they are listed.
Therefore, torts are the most significant topic to be covered in the legal reasoning section.
Apart from the topics mentioned in the list, there are several topics that one needs to read about.
- i) Basic Concepts and Legal Terminology: You are expected to have a basic understanding of the law and other legal terms which are used in Law i.e. Maxims
- ii) Current affairs: This section addresses recent judgments and questions in the legal field related to legal affairs. Eg. Landmark judgments.
iii) Constitution of India: In order to solve questions based on the Constitution of India, you need to have some understanding of the Indian Polity in the legal field.
How to Improve Legal Reasoning for CLAT?
These are some of the things listed below that could be kept in mind to improve Legal Reasoning for CLAT.
- Every word in law has its own relevance. Be very attentive and read the sentence very carefully.
- An offense or crime must be proven under all circumstances in order to be established under the legal principle.
- Keep your scope of understanding and application of law limited to the principles set forth: applying moral principles or any other law may result in the wrong answer. Follow the premise of the passage.
- In answering the question, a logical approach should be followed, not an emotional one.
- Develop a habit of looking for the most suitable answer among the available options.
- You should not make assumptions beyond the facts given in the passage. Doing this can be disastrous and you may end up losing a considerable amount of marks which will result in losing a rank as well.
- Practicing regularly is the key to acing this section.
- avoid superimposing your view over the author’s point of view.
- Work on your reading abilities regularly.
Tips to crack Clat logical reasoning:
Some students believe that the most important thing is to read the passage carefully and answer the question. It will be impossible for you to form an opinion and respond objectively if you do not examine the hypothetical first. While some say that it is a smarter approach to read the question first so that one can solve the questions as they read the passage.
Every student’s niche is different. This understanding comes after solving multiple mock tests and analyzing what suits you.
Therefore, it is recommended that one should go through multiple test series to develop this understanding and form an idea about how to approach a question in the exam.
Best Books for CLAT legal reasoning 2022:
One of the trickiest sections can be tackled by the following standard books after one has understood the syllabus completely. Keep in mind that there are important topics to cover and those that you should glance over. These books should be read bearing these topics in mind so that the syllabus is timely covered and you do have the time to attempt mock tests and develop the diversity of topics.
|CLAT Preparation Books for Legal Reasoning|
|Legal Awareness and Legal Reasoning||Pearson|
|Legal Aptitude and Legal Reasoning||A P Bhardwaj|
|Objective Legal Aptitude||R.S Aggarwal|